Do any of you know how your body responds after drinking coke? I was not sure either until my professor in my class pointed it out!
- Within the first 10 minutes, 10 teaspoons of
- sugar hit your system.
- The reason you don’t vomit as a result of the overwhelming sweetness is because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor.
- Within 20 minutes, your blood sugar spikes, and your liver responds to the resulting insulin burst by turning massive amounts of sugar into fat.
- Within 40 minutes, caffeine absorption is complete; your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, and your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream.
- Around 45 minutes, your body increases dopamine production, which stimulates the pleasure centers of your brain – a physically identical response to that of heroin.
- After 60 minutes, you’ll start to have a sugar crash.
By reading this I understood how drinking soda contributes to weight gain. Now you are probably thinking I am fine because I drink diet coke. Do not think drinking diet coke will help you stay skinny. Diet coke also has massive amounts of sodium which contributes to water retention which can lead to unnecessary water weight.
Also, do not forget the effects of aspartame which will be discussed in my next blog post!
Nutrition Research Center October 24, 2007
Post a Comment